Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94132
Natural Products Chemistry, Chemistry of Plants.
Special Interest Areas
- 1970: Ph.D.in Organic Chemistry, University of Basel, Switzerland. (Thesis: "Isolation, Structure and Synthesis of New Mold Metabolites from Phoma species")
- 1966 Diploma in Chemistry, University of Basel, Switzerland, with minors in mathematics, physics and biology.
- 1984: Deutsche Forschungsanstalt
fuer Lebensmittelchemie, Technical University of Munich, Germany (Gas chromatographic analysis of bread flavors).
- 1971-1972: Dept. of Chemistry, ", Princeton University, NJ. (Heterocyclic synthesis of pteridines)
Lecturer of Chemistry
- 1988-2010: at the Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, San Francisco State University, San Francisco. Emerita since 8/2010.
- Courses taught: Organic Chemistry for Majors. Organic Chemistry for Non-Majors.
Exploration of the Chemistry of Plants. Natural Products Chemistry. Chemistry in Your Life. Chemistry for the Health Sciences.
- 2007-2008: Student Mentor for Adult Degree Program in Natural Products Chemistry, Prescott College, Prescott AZ
- 1979-88: Lecturer of Chemistry at Dominican University, San Rafael, CA
Teaching of Courses and Field Seminars in Plant Chemistry (1996 till present)
- at the Regional Parks Botanic Garden, Tilden Park, Berkeley, CA
- at UC Berkeley Botanical Garden, Berkeley, CA
- at Yosemite National Park, for Yosemite Association
- for San Francisco Botanical Garden, San Francisco
- at Mono Lake, for Mono Lake Committee and Regional Parks Botanic Garden
- at UC Crooked Creek Research Station, White Mountains, CA
- at UNC Botanical Garden, Chapel Hill, NC
- for AAAS, Pacific Division: Plant chemical field trip at San Francisco Botanical Garden (2009)
- Regular plant-chemistry classes for docents at the Regional Parks Botanic Garden, Berkeley, CA
- Organization and leading of two botanical trips “Exploration of the Flora of the Engadine (Switzerland)”, in June 2001 and 2007, with botanist G.Keator, sponsored by San Francisco Botanic Garden
- 2012: Member-at-Large, Executive Committee, American Chemical Society, California Section.
- 2010 and 2011: Cochair of Women Chemists Committee, American Chemical Society (ACS), California Section. Member of Executive Committee.
- 1998-now: Co-coordinator of ACS Family Science Nights
- 1994-now: Docent at the Regional Parks Botanic Garden,
- 1995-2005: Boardmember and Webmaster, Friends Organization of Regional
Parks Botanic Garden, Berkeley.
- 1988-1991: Co-Chair, Members' Association Committee, and Ex Officio Member Advisory Council, Lawrence Hall of Science (LHS), Berkeley, CA.
- 2011: Salute to Excellence Award, American Chemical Society, California Section
- 2008: Salute to Excellence Award, American Chemical Society, California Section
- 2008: Unsung Hero Award, American Chemical Society, California Section, for Service at ACS Family Science Nights.