Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a national IRS program that provides free tax return preparation to low-income, elderly, limited English proficient, and disabled individuals. Our mission is to provide assistance to individuals who cannot afford the services of a paid professional tax preparer.
The SFSU VITA program is one of the largest volunteer programs at San Francisco State University, and one of the largest VITA sites in California, with the assistance of approximately 200 IRS-certified, SFSU student volunteers every tax season. Each year, the program provides volunteers with IRS-certified training sessions during the beginning of each tax season, where students learn about the tax practice and engage themselves in the real world of tax.
Benefits of Joining VITA
• Receive certificate of recognition from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
• Gain valuable addition to your resume and a great career builder
• Opportunity to network with tax professionals
• Receive hands-on tax experience
• Receive free tax training and free tax handbooks
• Learn to do your own tax return